I don't know where I was going with this...

Family traditions are everything. I can't help but make myself sad and think that one day my parents won't be here one day to keep them alive and it'll be my job to keep these things running through my future family. I love being Mexican. The food, music, colors, land, and people are a constant reminder that I need to proud of who I am despite how the media wants to color us. I wish those that looked down on us could see for one day how hard working we are. I also wish that people didn't associate not being able to speak English with ignorance or a lack of intelligence. For example, my dad's English is average. His thick accent prevents many from understanding him sometimes and this automatically makes people talk down to him. They see him as less. When I was a child, I never understood. He always had trouble at parent teacher conferences and soccer meetings. I began to believe everyone else. I was a kid and I didn't know better. It wasn't until I started to grow up that I learned my dad graduated from a 4 year university back in Mexico and earned a Bachelors. People don't realize that not speaking English doesn't directly correlate to intelligence. Shame on me for not realizing this as a child. Shame on those who don't understand language barriers.
I'm a first generation Latina. I can't deny that at times I wish I wasn't. When I was applying to different colleges my senior year- that was when I hit my biggest road block. I didn't have guidance just like my older brother before me. He was too preoccupied in his studies to even glance my way and my parent's wish they could've done more but to me, just knowing they did all they could was enough to keep me going. I'm always timid when it comes to facing new challenges but I keep going because I know that I'll always have their support.


Comments

  1. I think it's great you take pride in your latina heritage! I agree latinos are so hard working, I am inspire by what my family has done and am grateful for their support as I'm the first one in college without any guidance either

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family traditions mean so much. I totally agree with you about how it's sad that one day our parents won't be there with us to keep it up and that it will be up to us. With that being said, when you are with your future family think about how great it will be to create your own traditions as well as carrying out the ones you have now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment